MS C 117-diary-006

A typed war diary entry.

of 1797, 1799, 1803, 1805, 1807, finally 1850 and finally 1893. It was a real treat to go thru this cellar and the large cellar for

the yearly product. When we arrived at Soulac we found that the French officers had prepared us a luncheon. We looked out on a

beautiful Bay, the fact of it was that it was perfectly enchanting. After lunch I thanked Colonerl Tinedon for our lunch and he said

they had brought us out there for lunch so that we would be just as near America as we could be in France and could look out across

the ocean to our families at home. We thought this was a beautiful sentiment. After luncheon we drove over to Verdon, which is exactly

at the mouth of the Garande River. From there we proceeded back to Bordeaux but on account of numerous accidents to the machine we did

not arrive until half past seven. We hurriedly got ready for our return to Paris and after a light supper we took the train at 10:30

and arrived at Paris the next morning at 9:00 o’clock. The best part of June 18th was spent preparing our report. In fact we did not

get thru until 11:00 at night. I got to the office in the afternoon to see Colonel Bradley and in company wiht Major Bacon, attempted

to call on Sir Arthur Sloggett, Director General of the British forces in France. He was not home but his host, Captain Cohn, insisted

that we should come to breakfast with Sir Arthur at 8:00 o’clock on the 19th. This we did and had a most charming visit with him for

an hour. During that time he gave us very wide information in regard to his handing of the British Red Cross. In fact he gave us

information on many points. In the evening I took dinner with major Murphy, Mr. Perkins and Mr. Hargis at the Ritz Hotel to discuss

the relation of Red cross Commission, of which Mr. Murphy is Chairman, should hold ot the Headquarters. The meeting resulted in a

recommendation that Major Murphy be taken on the Commanding General’s Staff and carry on his work which is to be very extensive with

the different staff officers. They are going to rebuild some of the destroyed towns in the northern part of France and are going to

give Red Cross assistance to the French Army as well as to the American Army. I have also been on a board to make recommendations in

regard to the gas service of the American Army. This board held meetings on the 20th and 21st and resulted in a recommendation that a

gas service should be authorized at once, the necessary officer appointed to begin the organization for his stupendous task. In the

meantime we found opportunity on the afternoon of the 19th to go to the railroad station and inspect the Red Cross hospital train, the

Carre, and a French hospital train. Many questions of first importance are coming up every moment and we are at our wits end all the

time to be able to meet the calls that are placed upon us. I believe the organization is going to develop in a satisfactorily manner

if we can get the proper personall but it will be a long time and very very great work. Edwards, Keller, and Card have been in the

office, also Clyde Ford. No mail has been received from home but the hope that this suspension will be relieved before so very long.

June 22th, the day was spent in the usual work around the office and in the evening Colonel Bradley and I selected rooms at the Vernet and

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.