MS C 117-diary-004

A typed war diary entry.

Incidentally Hugh Young, with Lehr, Cecil and Boyd reported to Sir Alford Keough as a special urological commission to study the

venereal problem in the English and French Army. Fortunately Major Bacon took me to call on Sir Alfred Saturday afternoon and we saw

him just before he left the office. We left London Sunday afternoon at 2:00 o’clock for Paris by way of Folkstone and Boulogne. We

left at 6:30 and arrived at Boulogne at 8:00 o’clock. This trip is considered rather a dangerous one and we were required to wear our

life belts all the way over. Nothing out of the ordinary happened.

In France
We were met by a French officer who told us that dinner had been prepared for us at a restaurant nearby. In view of the fact that I

accompanied McCarthy’s Board, I became the first medical officer to land in France. We left Boulogne at 9:00 o’clock in the evening.

Just as we were taking our train a big hospital train came in with wounded from the Messeines fight. I was very much impressed with

these enormous cars with three tier bunks. Our accommodations to paris was most uncomfortable but we arrived at 5:30 in the morning

and were met by Logan, Barker, Church and Wadhams. I was immediately taken to the Continental Hotel. The day was spent in great

confusion around Paris, making official calls and arranging to start out on our inspection trip. We finally made arrangements to leave

at 8:00 o’clock on Tuesday morning, June 12th. Major Lavelle and Major Appleton were detailed to accompany us. On Monday afternoon we

took dinner at the Army and Navy Club as the guests of Peltier. It was certainly a charming dinner but as I had not yet recovered from

my last dose of para typhoid, I was personally in great distress. We arrived at Nantes at 2:30 the afternoon of the 12th and spent the

rest of the afternoon investigating the docks, camp sites and the Grand Lyce Hospital. The next morning we investigated Hospital No.

25 and Grand Seminary Building. Hospital No. 25 accommodates 500 patients and it is believed the Grand Seminary Building would

accommodate a thousand patients when completed. We then drove on to Savenaywhere we found a hospital admirably adapted to accommodate

300 patients which the French Government is willing to turn over to us if needed. We then proceeded to St. Nazaire and after lunch

investigated the water works, the water supply, the damp sites which had been selected and which were under construction and College

Hospital which contains 300 beds and which is being prepared to be turned over to us. The water supply is the serious question here

and the local supply must be supplemented by bringing water from Nantes by boat. In the morning we continued our investigation of the

water supply, driving out to Montoir and from there went to Le Baule and Pornichet. The last two places are summer resoirts, perfectly

beautifully located. They are practically closed now but the fine water and hotels are there and they will be ideal structures for our

convalescent hospitals. The British had hospitals here in 1914. After lunch we returned to Nantes, stopping at Saveney on the way. We

remained at Nantes the night of the 14th. On the morning of the 15th we started to La Rochelle by automobile. The

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.