MS C 117-diary-003

A typed war diary entry.

another destroyer acting as a pilot. Sometime during the day this pilot suddenly disappeared and about twelve o’clocl the night of the

7th we anchored in the outer harbor in Liverpool. Nothing had been seen or heard of a sub-marine. I have been told that some officers

and some of the other people on the boat were very much disturbed about the danger of the sub-marines. Personally, I realized that we

were in danger but for some reason or other could not work up any great excitement on the subject. I prepared my mind as to what I

would do in case were torpedoed and rested at ease at that. There certainy was no excitement among the passengers and a great many

women were included in this list. We had Mr. Fred Palmer and his wife and Mr. Grasty with us. We all were compelled to wear civilian

clothes until the destroyers appeared. This was to insure against shelling if we were torpedoed and the sub-marine further ventured


In England
We landed at Liverpool about 9 o’clock the morning of the 8th. We were royally received by a guard of honor and by the Commanding

General, General Campbell. I accompanied the Commanding General in inspecting the guard and was therefore the first medical

representative to land on the shores of England. This was certainly an epoch making event and the Lord only knows where it will lead

us. A special train was prepared and we were taken to London where we arrived about 4:00 o’clock in the afternoon. We were received in

a quiet way and taken to the Savoy Hotel. Bradley met us and Iwas royally glad to see him. During the afternoon I went with Bradley to

get my reading glasses fixed and to get a uniform at Henry Keen, No. 2 South Hampton Road. We drove thru many places of interest and

finally called on Mrs. Bradley, after we had been to the Embassy and I had been able to drop a note to “Jim”. That night General

Pershing and his immediate staff were dined by Lord Brook at the Savoy Hotel. Lord Brook is a young English Major General in the

British Army and is the future Earl of Warwick. I was fortunate in being placed next to Colonel James whom I knew in Washington when

he was the Attache there. From now on Bradley took my place as the Head of the Medical Department. Saturday morning we went to the

Embassy to pay our respects to the Minister. I went to Keen’s and had a fit. I made the great mistake of not purchasing a pair of

boots at the Army Cooperative Store. We had lunch at the Savor with Colonel Lassiter. The afternoon was taken up with small affairs

and in the evening Major Robert Bacon took me to the Reitz for dinner, — that is one of the famous places in London. Sunday morning I

prepared my luggage for our trip to France which was to begin Sunday afternoon at 2:00 o’clock. While in London Dickey Strong came to

see me and Sunday morning I had breakfast with Major Hugh Young and a Doctor Williams, who has been looking into the venereal

situation in Europe as it effects the army. Young accumulated some valuable information for us on this point.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.